Monday 7 June 2010

Kazan, Russia

This card is from my postcard pal Renata in Russia. She lives in Yoshkar-Ola (the capital of the Mari El Republic) but she says her heart is in Kazan. I don't find that very difficult to understand - Kazan does seem like a very beautiful city, and it certainly does have some wonderful architecture.



This card shows the Petropavlovski sobor (cathedral). I couldn't find any more information about it, but isn't it pretty?! I love the colours! If you want to see some more great architecture from Kazan, check out this and this!

Kazan is the capital city of the Republic of Tatarstan, Russia. The eighth largest city of Russia, it lies at the confluence of the Volga and Kazanka Rivers in European Russia. The Kazan Kremlin is a World Heritage Site. In April 2009, the Russian Patent Office granted Kazan the right to brand itself as the "Third Capital" of Russia. In 2009 it was chosen as the "sports capital of Russia". It has a population of 1,136,566.

In one of my posts last week I wrote how distances are pretty epic in Australia. Well, in Russia they are even greater! Renata told me that for her to travel to Moscow from her home town, she'd have to go on a 15 hours train trip, while it would take her "only" 4 hours to go to Kazan. I have to say I'm not too jealous there...

No comments: