Friday 4 June 2010

Acireale, Italy

This card is really old (for me anyway :p). I can't make out the date in the cancellation and there is no date on the card, but it's probably from some time in the 1990s. This one is also from an ex-penpal. Rossella was one of my first penpals, a lovely girl from near Venice. I haven't heard from her for years but I don't think I'll ever forget her. She would often go on holidays around Italy with her family and send me postcards. This one is from Acireale in Sicily.



According to the card, what you can see here is "the best balcony in Europe", Villa Belvedere. Well, the views certainly are gorgeous!

I found a little more info about Acireale, too... (from Wikipedia. I'd like to say it here that most of the info about cards in this blog is from wikipedia... I hope there aren't any huge mistakes in my posts, then...)

Acireale is a coastal city in the north-east of the province of Catania, Sicily, Italy, at the foot of Mount Etna, on the coast of the Ionian Sea, and with mineral waters. It is a diocese, famous for its churches, including the Neo-Gothic St. Peter's Basilica, St. Sebastian's Basilica in the Sicilian Baroque style, and the 17th century Acireale Cathedral; and there is a seminary, for the training of priests. Acireale is also noted for its paintings: the oldest academy in Sicily, the "Accademia dei Dafnici e degli Zelanti", is located here.

No comments: