Sunday 18 July 2010

Vilnius, Lithuania

I have been looking for this postcard for a while. When I first saw it it really struck me with its originality and slight spookiness. I finally received it this week as I was lucky enough to be "tagged" with it on the postcrossing forum.



These three women are actually statues - something I didn't realise when I first saw this card; I thought they were real people! But no, these women are statues on the marquee of the Lithuanian National Drama Theatre. This theatre is one of the biggest theatres in Lithuania. Since its establishment in 1940, it has staged over 200 performances. The theatre's current repertoire mixes classical and modern theatre with material by contemporary Lithuanian playwrights (Sigitas Parulskis, Herkus Kunčius and others). The theatre is located in the heart of Vilnius Old Town, a beautiful UNESCO World Heritage Site.



The stamp is from a set of 3 stamps issued earlier this year, representing Coats of Arms of Lithuanian Towns, this one here being Varena.

No comments: