Saturday 31 July 2010

Burgas, Bulgaria

I'm not very good at geography, although I do think I'm better than my boyfriend's sister who was asking yesterday if Kenya was in Europe (!!!). I did wonder if she was joking... Anyway, I've only just realised that Bulgaria is Turkey's neighbour so I thought it'd be appropriate to post this card next.



It's from a RR on the postcrossing forum, the theme was lighthouses. It took me a while to realise that, but there really is a lighthouse in this card, right at the front. I don't know why, but I was always under the impression that lighthouses were built in fairly remote locations, and this doesn't seem particularly remote to me... Guess I should find out more about that at some point...

Burgas is the second-largest city and seaside resort on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast with population 210,260. It is also the fourth-largest by population in the country, after Sofia, Plovdiv and Varna. It is the capital of Burgas Province and an important industrial, transport, cultural and tourist centre.

Surrounded by the coastal Burgas Lakes and located at the westernmost point of the Black Sea, the large Burgas Bay, Burgas has the largest and most important Bulgarian port. Today, it is a key economic, cultural and tourist centre of southeastern Bulgaria, with the Burgas Airport serving the resorts of the southern Bulgarian coast.



I couldn't find any info about the smaller stamp, but the bigger one is from a set of 2 stamps issued in 2008 with the theme "120 Years of Orient Express".

No comments: