Tuesday 21 December 2010

Lawrence, Kansas, USA

Hi, I'm Anu and I'm a fangirl. I'm a wee bit obsessed about Supernatural, a brilliant tv series about two brothers hunting supernatural evil (or just evil :P). Funny, pretty, thought-provoking and entertaining, I've been hooked since a friend recommended it to me in spring 2006. I'm sad enough to be interested in a lot of stuff related to the series, including Lawrence, a town in Kansas where the two brothers are from in the series. It doesn't seem like a very popular tourist destination, though, so it's taken me this long to get any postcards from there. I was so happy when this autumn a kind postcrosser sent me a message, telling me they were going to visit Lawrence and would I be interested in some postcards from there? Of course I would! *dorky squee*



Lawrence is the 6th largest city in the U.S. State of Kansas. Located 41 miles west of Kansas City, Missouri, it is situated along the banks of the Kansas and Wakarusa Rivers. In 2009, the city had an estimated population of 92,048. Lawrence is a college town and is the home to the University of Kansas and Haskell Indian Nations University.

More relevant to 'Supernatural', Lawrence and its surroundings have a couple of urban legends that are notable, e.g. the Stull Cemetery, which some say might just be a gate to hell. The graveyard has a church that has been abandoned since 1922 - it is said that rain won't fall over the roofless remains of the church, and an upside-down hanging crucifix will turn upside down when someone nears. The Stull Cemetery was set to be the location for Armageddon in the final episode of season 5 of 'Supernatural'. There's more info about the Stull Cemetery here. In Lawrence itself there's a haunted hotel called The Eldridge Hotel - apparently, the fifth floor is haunted best.

As for this postcard (which is totally unrelated to all those cool myths :p)... There's some info on the back of the card:

Depot Redux is a community effort to restore the Santa Fe Station in Lawrence, KS and help get passenger rail back to the future. The depot is located at 413 E. 7th St.

You can read more about the project here.

No comments: