Saturday 18 December 2010

Brandaris Lighthouse, The Netherlands

I thought I'd post about some official cards today. I haven't been sending & receiving too many recently, but there have been some really nice ones amongst the ones I've received. The first one is a lovely lighthouse card from the Netherlands. It's from Diana -Diashaliz. It's always nice to receive officials from forum members!


NL-469650


The Brandaris is a lighthouse on the Dutch Wadden Sea island Terschelling, in Friesland. The first Brandaris was built in 1323, but it was destroyed in 1570. The current tower was built in 1594 and is listed as a Rijksmonument and is rated with a very high historical value.



The stamp is from a set of 5 stamps issued in 2008, under the theme "Jubilee". It looks like there was a second stamp on the card as well when it was mailed but it fell off during its journey here. Or at least that's the impression I get from the cancellation. Weird...

No comments: