Sunday 8 August 2010

Iceland

Moving on... to somewhere VERY different from Dubai: Iceland! This country has always fascinated me. It seems so distant, rough, beautiful and mysterious. I received this card earlier this year, I think it's still my only written and stamped postcard from Iceland, which makes it even more special.


IS-8497


Now I wouldn't want to live in such a remote, rough location, but I do have to admit this picture totally fascinates me. Just trying to imagine the kind of people who would live in this place... it can't be too easy! It must have its beauty to it, though, it seems so extreme and out of this world.

One thing that has always struck me with Island is how small it is. I mean the whole country has a population of only about 320,000, that's like an average size UK city! Icelandic people sure seem a lot more hard working than a lot of English people :p

I've been wondering why Finland is the only Nordic country (out of Finland, Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland) with a large number of postcrossers. Ok, with Iceland it is pretty understandable as the country is so small, but Sweden is bigger than Finland.. I've heard postage there is stupidly expensive, though, so maybe that's one reason.. and Norway is a really expensive country as well. I don't know about Denmark... It's a shame, I'd like to see more postcards from these countries, especially Norway and Iceland.



Icelandic stamps are really pretty, from what I've seen, and this is no exception. It's from an issue of 2 stamps from 2009, depicting Skaftafell, Vatnajokull National Park.

No comments: