Saturday 10 March 2012

Mount Maunganui, New Zealand

Dear Heather decided to send me a postcard on leap year day. What an awesome idea, thank you so much! :D I would've loved to do it myself, too, but you can't get nice cancellations over here and it seems like half the time postcards I sent don't even get cancelled :(



Heather has been sending me some truly amazing New Zealand views recently. This one has to be one of my favourites, I just love the colours here!

Mauao, also known as Mount Maunganui, is an extinct volcanic cone at the end of a peninsula and the suburb of Mount Maunganui, by the eastern entrance to the Tauranga Harbour in New Zealand. It is considered very important and tapu (sacred) by the local Māori iwi, featuring extensively in local mythology. It is also of significant historical value. The highest point is 232 metres above sea level.

In recent years there have been several fires on the mountain, in turn triggering a number of replanting efforts. Since Mount Maunganui has been open to the general public it has become a popular location for many activities including scenic walks, jogging and even hang gliding.



...and here's the cancellation, with some really great stamps.

No comments: