Saturday 10 March 2012

Hell, Cayman Islands

Today's last card was SUCH a treat to receive. Not only is it my first written and stamped postcard from Cayman Islands, but it's also directly from Hell! :D Well, I already had a postcard from Hell in Norway, but now I have Cayman Islands as well, yay! My Canadian penpal Lauren went on a Caribbean cruise recently and very kindly offerent to send me some postcards from her vacation, Hell being one of the destinations. You can read more about her vacation here, with very detailed descriptions and tons of photos. I'd love to go on a similar cruise one day, it sounded like so much fun (and I wouldn't mind going somewhere WARM right now :p). Newspapers over here do advertise Caribbean cruises, but they always cost a fortune. :(



I won't write too much about Hell here as you can read about it on the card above. Briefly put, Hell is a group of short, black, limestone formations located in Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands. Located in West Bay, Grand Cayman, it is roughly the size of half a soccer field. People are not allowed to be amongst the limestone formations but viewing platforms do exist for visitors.

I did receive an unwritten postcard of the former Hell Post Office from a swap last year so I thought I'd include a picture here:





Anyway, here's proof that I've received a written and stamped postcard from Hell, with a special cancellation. I really like the stamp, too!

No comments: