Saturday 23 April 2011

The Posting Box, Yockenthwaite, England

I really haven't been too good with this blog recently :/ I'm not even sure where all the time has gone. Some of it has been spent writing letters and postcards to friends, reading and trying to sort out wedding stuff. Not so sure of the rest of it, though, and the pile of cards I want to post about is getting pretty big. Oopsies...

Anyway. In exactly two weeks I'll be in London, attending the International Postcrossing meet-up there (even if it looks like it's going to be slightly less international than was the plan initially, but there should still be people from several different countries attending). I went there last year and had such a good time, it was so nice how everyone was so friendly and welcoming to a newbie like me. I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the same people again, particularly Astrid and Wendy - and Andy (duplevista) who's organising the event again and who also sent me the postcard below two years ago. :)



I had to check Googlemaps for the location of the place on this card - it only says 'Yockenthwaite' on the back of the card and I'd never heard of the place again. It looks like it's in the middle of nowhere and yep, it is, in the middle of the Yorkshire Dales. Mmmmm, I do wonder whether this mailbox is emptied regularly.. Much as I keep complaining about the Royal Mail, at least they still provide a regular service for the whole of the UK. I'm not so sure what would happen if the postal services were privatised (apart from stamp prices probably going up quite a bit)...



The stamp is from a set of 8 stamps issued in 2009, with the theme 'Pioneers of the Industrial Revolution'. The one here shows James Watt, a strong contender for the title of father of the steam age because of his years of hard work in improving the Newcomen design created a ‘steam engine’.

No comments: