Wednesday 18 March 2015

Lundy Island

I only recently found out about Lundy Island and the fact that it has its own stamps (with 'puffin' values). I suppose you could call it cheating when I organised a couple of postcards to be sent to myself from there without going there myself but oh well. :P

One thing I wanted to say as well... When organising these postcards to be sent to me, I exchanged some emails with the Lundy Postmaster. I guess the clue should have been in the name ('mister', not 'mistress') but I'm not very bright sometimes and as the Postmaster's name sounded female, I used the title 'Ms', thinking I was being polite. Well, it turned out the Postmaster is 'MR'. I was SO embarrassed when I found out! Lundy Postmaster, if you happen to be reading this for some reason, I wish to apologise wholeheartedly. I never meant to offend. ...and I'm also kind of glad that titles aren't that commonly used in Finland. :P


Lundy is the largest island in the Bristol Channel. It lies 19 km off the coast of Devon, England, about a third of the distance across the channel from Devon, England to south Wales. Lundy gives its name to a British sea area and is one of the islands of England. Lundy has been designated by Natural England as national character area 159, one of England's natural regions.

In 2007, Lundy had a resident population of 28 people, including volunteers. These include a warden, ranger, island manager, and farmer, as well as bar and house-keeping staff. Most live in and around the village at the south of the island. Most visitors are day-trippers, although there are 23 holiday properties and a camp site for staying visitors, mostly also around the south of the island.

In a 2005 opinion poll of Radio Times readers, Lundy was named as Britain's tenth greatest natural wonder. The entire island has been designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest and it was England's first statutory Marine Nature Reserve, and the first Marine Conservation Zone, because of its unique flora and fauna. It is managed by the Landmark Trust on behalf of the National Trust. You can read more about Lundy here.

2 comments:

agi said...

very nice! so what it was sent by yourself :)))

Anu said...

Haha, I suppose so :) I do send postcards to myself occasionally to get certain stamps on a postcard.

I hadn't even heard of Lundy Island until probably a couple of months ago. The things you learn from Postcrossing, eh? :)