Wednesday 18 March 2015

Auschwitz Birkenau, Poland

A rather creepy card for now... I don't think I'd ever be able to stomach visiting this place, I think it would just be way too much. On a slightly different note, I don't want to get too much into politics here as this isn't the place, but I find it odd how there doesn't seem to be nearly the same level of outrage at the fact that concentration camps still exist in North Korea. I've read a couple of really, really grim books on the topic recently and was pretty horrified. I mean there's Holocaust Memorial Day and everything (and for a good reason, too), but why isn't there more campaigning against the ones that still exist - how can you have a slogan like 'Never Again' in these circumstances?? Unless I've missed something...


Auschwitz Birkenau
German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945)

The fortified walls, barbed wire, platforms, barracks, gallows, gas chambers and cremation ovens show the conditions within which the Nazi genocide took place in the former concentration and extermination camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau, the largest in the Third Reich. According to historical investigations, 1.5 million people, among them a great number of Jews, were systematically starved, tortured and murdered in this camp, the symbol of humanity's cruelty to its fellow human beings in the 20th century.

No comments: