Monday 16 February 2015

aubergine caviar

I was talking about food postcards yesterday so here's one. ...and with one of my favourite ingredients, aubergine, too!


Mmmmm, I couldn't possibly get enough of aubergines! I love it in pretty much any form, although the baba ganoush I had in London a couple of years ago had too much tahini for my liking. (I'm not a huge fan of tahini and when making hummus, I always have to reduce the amount of tahini as most recipes call for way too much of it for my liking.) I haven't tried this dip yet but it does sound gorgeous. Here's a recipe from the back of the postcard:  

2 aubergines 
1 garlic clove 
1 glass olive oil 
salt 
pepper

Halve the aubergines lengthways, lay them on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper, add a drizzle of olive oil and bake in the oven (180 C) for 30 to 40 minutes. Scoop out the aubergine flesh with a spoon, add the pressed garlic and crush the mixture to obtain a fine puree. Stir with a wooden spoon, slowly adding the olive oil, as when making mayonnaise. Check the seasoning and store in a cool place.
 

No comments: