Wednesday 23 February 2011

Phuket, Thailand

My grandma has been in Thailand for the past four weeks, she is coming back this week. I knew she would be sending me a card at some point as mum told me she'd asked for my address. And now it's here :) I really like her choice, too, this is such a cute card! Speaking of my address... It seems like our postman definitely knows me by know - grandma had forgotten to put our house number in the address, but the card still arrived. Perhaps because no one else with my postcode receives so many postcards?! :D



Elephants seem to be pretty important animals in Thailand. These two are from Phuket. Phuket, which is approximately the size of Singapore, is Thailand’s largest island. The island is connected to mainland Thailand by two bridges. It is situated off the west coast of Thailand in the Andaman Sea. Phuket formerly derived its wealth from tin and rubber, and enjoyed a rich and colorful history. The island was on one of the major trading routes between India and China, and was frequently mentioned in foreign ship logs of Portuguese, French, Dutch and English traders. The region now derives much of its income from tourism (and is evidently pretty popular; grandma said that it's a lot more expensive than Hua Hin where she was last year).



The stamp is from a set of 10 definitives issued last year.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Gorgeous card, she made a great choice!

One day I got a postcard that was TOTALLY a different road and number in my suburb...It seems my postman took one look at it, saw my suburb name and sorted it in with all my other postcards lol.

Anu said...

That's brilliant of your postman, I think mine has really got used to me by now, too :D