Wednesday 22 April 2015

Bavarian Zugspitze Railway

So... I wasn't going to send any more officials on Postcrossing until the system is back to normal (i.e. 'send a card, receive ONE back'), but I caved in and sent a few earlier this year. I haven't actually received as many back as I thought I would, so that's good. This is one of the officials I've received this year, a train postcard from Germany.

 
DE-4040260
 
The Bavarian Zugspitze Railway is one of four rack railways still working in Germany, along with the Wendelstein Railway, the Drachenfels Railway and the Stuttgart Rack Railway. The metre gauge line runs from the Garmisch-Partenkirchen suburb of Garmisch to the Zugspitze, the highest mountain in Germany. The line culminates at 2,650 metres above sea level, which makes it the highest railway in Germany and the third highest in Europe.

No comments: