Saturday 28 May 2011

Helsinki, Finland

I've only just realised that I've already had this blog for over a year! I'm quite impressed as when I started this blog I wasn't sure whether I'd manage to keep up with this or whether this would be interesting enough to keep updating. Turns out it has been well worth it. :)

I'm a little nervous at the moment because of the ash cloud from the Icelandic volcano. I'm supposed to fly to Finland for a week with Matt next Sunday, I really hope the ash cloud will have settled by then. I don't want to miss this opportunity, I'm really looking forward to seeing my family again. Hopefully everything will be fine. *fingers crossed* Anyway, in anticipation of this little trip I thought I'd post a Finnish card here. I received this from one of my favourite postcrossers, Essi, not long ago and *really* like it. I find this to be a very typical image of Helsinki.



Hopefully I'll get to ride these lovely green trams again in Helsinki. :) I much prefer them to buses, they have so much more character and the atmosphere is great. My sister doesn't live right in the centre of Helsinki anymore, but these trams go near to where she lives now so I should get to ride these. Yay! Trams were first introduced in Helsinki in 1891 and were initially horse-drawn.



The awesome mailbox stamp is from a set of 5 stamps issued earlier this year, showing - obviously - mailboxes. The smaller stamp showing a birch leaf is a definitive, also issued earlier this year.

3 comments:

Nives said...

Is it crowded in those trams? They are so small compared to the ones here in Zagreb, and ours are almost always crowded!

Anu said...

It depends. Sometimes you can actually get a seat but a lot of the time they are pretty crowded, yeah. How cool that you have trams in Zagreb!

Ana said...

over a year?? oh, time flies soo fast!! congrats on your anniversary...and wishing you many many more...and looking forward to many many more cards here :))))