Saturday 21 May 2011

Giant Buddha, Hong Kong

Trying to catch up with this blog so I'm updating again. :D Well, I do have quite a lot of free time at the moment. I haven't had any translation assignments for a while and I have a feeling I might not receive too many in the future, either.. :/ At least then I won't have to stress about them, but I'd still prefer getting some occasional assignments as money is always welcome and I never have enough. Mmmmm... anyway. I'm supposed to go for a picnic tomorrow with friends from aikido, only I'm a little worried as according to weather reports, it's likely to rain tomorrow and you can't really have a nice picnic in a park if it's raining. :( I'm trying to be positive though and am making some ninja cookies for tomorrow (I got an awesome "ninjabread men" cookie cutter set from Matt's older sister Rachel for my birthday :D). The dough needs to chill for several hours in the fridge, though, so I have plenty of time to do other things.

One of my friends in our aikido group, Miranda, is originally from Hong Kong and she's only just come back from a visit back home. She didn't bring me any postcards this time but then again, I already have plenty. ...and I got this nice card from the 'Choose a country' RR on the postcrossing forum a while ago. :)



Giant Buddha is a large bronze statue of a Buddha, completed in 1993, and located at Ngong Ping, Lantau Island, in Hong Kong. The statue is located near Po Lin Monastery and symbolises the harmonious relationship between man and nature, people and religion. It is a major centre of Buddhism in Hong Kong, and is also a popular tourist attraction. It is 26.4 metres high and weighs 202 tonnes. It's the world's largest seated outdoor bronze Buddha.



The bird stamps come from a set of 16 definitives issued in 2006, the ones here showing the Fork-tailed Sunbird and Collared Scops Owl. The stamp on the right is from a set of 4 stamps issued earlier this year, with the theme 'Volunteerism'.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I've been there, there are a LOT of stairs to walk up to it!

Anu said...

I can imagine that!