Wednesday 17 November 2010

Dominican Republic

This postcard comes from a swap with Trupti. She says that the Dominican Republic is her second home - I'm jealous! I wish I could retreat to somewhere sunny and warm, too.. It's been really cold in England recently, and my bedroom is freeeezing a lot of the time. I have a small thermometer here and sometimes when I look at it it says it's only about +11 C here. Insane...! That's colder than my parents' cellar used to be in their old house in Finland!



The Dominican Republic is a nation on the island of Hispaniola, part of the Greater Antilles archipelago in the Caribbean region. The western third of the island is occupied by the nation of Haiti, making Hispaniola one of two Caribbean islands that are shared by two countries. Both by area and population, the Dominican Republic is the second largest Caribbean nation (after Cuba), with 48,442 square kilometres and an estimated 10 million people.

The climate of the Dominican Republic is mostly tropical. The annual average temperature is 25 °C. No wonder it's such a popular tourist destination, then! In fact, I just received a card from my postcard pal Katya in Russia, she's recently been on holiday in Dominican Republic and sent me a card of the place after coming back home (I'll post about it here later as it's a very nice card).



...aand the card was mailed directly from the Dominican Republic! It's a stamp sticker or whatever you call these, but at least it has a little more colour than some automated stamp stickers.

No comments: