Thursday 14 June 2012

Daishō-in, Mount Misen, Miyajima, Japan

When I started Postcrossing I used to receive quite a lot of postcards from Japan. I don't get them that often anymore and it's always a real treat to receive one, such as this beautiful shrine from Miyajima.



On this postcard you can see Daishō-in, the main shrine of Mount Misen. Mount Misen is a holy mountain on the holy island Itsukushima in Hatsukaichi, Hiroshima. It is situated within the World Heritage area of Itsukushima Shrine.

The sea around the island (Seto Inland Sea) and all of the island are within Setonaikai National Park. The foothills of the north side of the mountain are covered by primeval forest and have many buildings and gates, including the temple of  Daishō-in.


Such a beautiful lighthouse stamp, and a lovely special cancellation! There's actually another special cancellation (in the shape of a maple leaf) on the card as well but it's on top of the writing so I didn't want to scan it.

1 comment:

TomoyoHime said...

That is such a beautiful card! I'm still waiting for my first official from Japan. I hope I'll be so lucky to receive one like this.