Monday 1 June 2015

The Lake District, England

At the start of May I was contacted by a Postcrosser who told me she'd heard that for a few days, all mail sent in the UK would be cancelled with a special 'Royal Baby' postmark and asked me if I could send her a postcard. I'm not really interested in the Royal family but I thought the special cancellation would still be nice, so I sent myself a couple of postcards as well. Well, both were actually cancelled, which is quite impressive in itself, but it was just a regular cancellation, nothing to do with the royal baby. The Postcrosser told me she got the cancellation, but that it was really unclear. Lovely work, the Royal Mail... :/

One of the cards I sent to myself was this map of the Lake District. I'm actually going to be there next month as my husband's older brother will be getting married there. I have no idea where exactly, though, as no one has bothered to tell me. :P (EDIT: It'll be somewhere near Windermere.) I do hope I'll get to explore the area at least a little bit as it's supposed to be really beautiful up there. I wouldn't say no to getting to buy some postcards, either... :P The Lake District is also a tentative Unesco site.


The Lake District, also known as The Lakes or Lakeland, is a mountainous region in North West England. A popular holiday destination, it is famous for its lakes, forests and mountains (or fells) and its associations with the early 19th-century writings of William Wordsworth and the other Lake Poets.

Historically split between Cumberland, Westmorland and Lancashire, the Lake District is now entirely in Cumbria. All the land in England higher than three thousand feet (914.4 m) above sea level lies within the National Park, including Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England. It also contains the deepest and longest lakes in England, Wastwater and Windermere.

No comments: