Wednesday 22 July 2015

Joshua Tree National Park, USA

I'm getting so behind with this blog. ...and I can't see things improving very soon. I thought I'd update now that I have the time AND inspiration. To be fair, most of the time I'm just not very organised.. :P

Today's first card is from the Vacation RR from earlier this year. I do have a bit of a soft spot for postcards showing national parks.


Joshua Tree National Park is located in southeastern California. Declared a U.S. National Park in 1994 when the U.S. Congress passed the California Desert Protection Act (Public Law 103-433), it had previously been a U.S. National Monument since 1936. It is named for the Joshua trees (Yucca brevifolia) native to the park. It covers a land area of 3,199.59 km2 – an area slightly larger than the state of Rhode Island. A large part of the park, some 173,890 ha, is a designated wilderness area. Straddling the San Bernardino County/Riverside County border, the park includes parts of two deserts, each an ecosystem whose characteristics are determined primarily by elevation: the higher Mojave Desert and lower Colorado Desert. The Little San Bernardino Mountains run through the southwest edge of the park.

No comments: