Saturday 8 November 2014

Braslau Lakes National Park, Belarus

A rather lovely official I received from Belarus earlier this year. Speaking of official Postcrossing, I think I'll be taking a break from it for the time being. I might go back if it eventually goes back to the "send a postcard and receive one back" model it used to have, but I don't like the way it is at the moment, and has been like that for a while. It seems to be designed for people who have cards travelling all the time but they don't seem to care about those of us who would only like to send cards occasionally. For over a year now, every time I've sent cards I've ended up receiving way more cards back than the number of cards I've sent. It wouldn't be such an issue but then it means I won't receive anything until the numbers are even, and what with my not being able to afford to send that many, it takes ages to get the numbers even. ...and once that happens and I send cards out again, the same happens AGAIN. It's like a vicious circle and I'm not impressed. I don't like to receive my cards in advance. It's like receiving Christmas presents in July and that wouldn't be much fun either. I'd like to send maybe a couple of cards a month and then hopefully receive a couple of cards as well, but it just hasn't been like that for ages now, it doesn't work like that. I think it's a bit misleading for Postcrossing to say "send a postcard and receive a postcard back". If they would at least give an option of opting out of receiving tons of cards in advance, but they don't seem to care. It's a strange system at the moment really, with people in some countries receiving too many cards while in other countries (mainly Russia I think?) people are not receiving enough. I hope they'll find a solution eventually but until that happens, I'll be sticking to sending cards to friends and doing occasional private swaps and maybe participating in some RRs and tags from time to time (although I might try to even out the gap between my sent and received a little bit as well, just in case). It's a shame because the idea behind the official Postcrossing site is so lovely.

 
BY-1327881
 
Braslau Lakes is one of the four national parks in Belarus. The National Park was set up in September 1995. It is a unique ecosystem with a number of lakes and a large area of pine forests. It has a total area of about 700 km² (270 square miles). This includes 30 lakes. Three largest lakes are Dryvyaty (fifth largest in the country), Snudy (ninth largest in the country) and Strusta (sixteenth largest in the country). On this card you can see the Catholic Church of the Heart of Jesus in Braslau District.

No comments: