Wednesday 1 August 2012

Ćevapi, Bosnia & Herzegovina

I really like food-related postcards but for some reason don't post them in this blog too often.. hhmmmm... This one is from my dear Snježana. Makes me hungry!


Ćevapi is a grilled dish of minced meat, a type of kebab, found traditionally in the countries of southeastern Europe. They are considered a national dish in Bulgaria, Bosnia and Herzegovina and in Serbia. They are also common in Croatia, Montenegro, Kosovo, Slovenia, as well as in Republic of Macedonia, Romania, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Austria and the Italian provinces bordering Slovenia.

They are usually served of 5-10 pieces on a plate or in a flatbread (lepinje or somun), often with chopped onions, sour cream, kajmak, ajvar, cottage cheese, minced red pepper and salt. Serb ćevapčići are made of either beef, lamb or pork or mixed. Bosnian ćevapi are made from two types of minced beef meat, hand mixed and formed with a funnel, while formed ćevapi are grilled. Macedonian, Croatian, Bulgarian and Romanian varieties are often made of both pork and beef. (This is from Wikipedia, correct me if I'm wrong.)

I tried making some ćevapi at home a few weeks ago. I have no idea if it was authentic at all but it was definitely very, very tasty. If anyone reading this has a recipe for proper ćevapi, I'd be more than happy to have it!! (*hint hint*)

No comments: