Sunday 12 September 2010

Irish Writers

Let's finish with something more cheerful for today.. with one of my favourite topics: books!



I received this postcard from a RR on the postcrossing forum and I really love it. The picture above is quite small but it has quotes from each writer's works below their pictures. You can see a larger scan here if you want to read the quotes.

I must confess I hadn't heard of a couple of these authors. My favourite is Oscar Wilde, I find him very inspirational.

Dublin is now the fourth UNESCO City of Literature. You can read more about its literary achievements here.



To make this postcard even more perfect, it has an Oscar Wilde related stamp on it! It's from a set of two stamps issued earlier this year, Ireland's contribution to this year's Europa stamps series (with the theme Children's Books). The stamp on the left is from a set of 3 definitive stamps issued in 2008, depicting wild flowers of Ireland. This one here is the Thrift. The stamp in the middle is from a set of five stamps, "Irish Wild Flower Definitives II" (I'm not sure about the year of issue). This one here shows the Fly orchid.

No comments: