Friday 10 September 2010

Indonesia

A wonderful map card from the lovely Shinta in Indonesia.



I actually received an envelope full of beautiful postcards from Shinta, and it's difficult to choose my favourite. I do have a soft spot for maps so it was pretty obvious I'd post about this card.

Indonesia is a country in Southeast Asia and Oceania. It comprises 17,508 islands. With a population of around 230 million people, it is the world's fourth most populous country, and has the world's largest population of Muslims. Indonesia is a republic, with an elected legislature and president. The nation's capital city is Jakarta.

Years and years ago I used to have a Finnish penpal who moved to Jakarta for over a year as her dad got a job there. I remember reading her letters and marvelling at a place so different from Finland and so far away. Sadly I haven't heard from Terhi for ages now, she was such a nice person. I hope she's doing well.





Shinta always uses the most gorgeous stamps on her postcards and envelopes, and this one was no exception.

The silver stamp is from a set of 6 stamps issued in 2009 for theInternational Year of Astronomy. The two yellow stamps next to it commemorate the World Cup in South Africa this summer. The final stamp I couldn't find any info about, so all I know is that it depicts Indonesian folktales.

No comments: