Thursday 17 June 2010

Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas, Mexico

I've been doing quite a lot of private swaps recently, this is one of the latest received cards for me. I don't get too much mail from Mexico; I've got a couple of rather old cards that my grandma and her husband sent me when they were on a holiday in Mexico (I think that was probably in the early 1990s). I did get an envelope full of lovely postcards from Mexico a few days ago, but more about that later.



The card shows traditional dresses in Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas. Chiapa de Corzo is a small city and municipality situated in the west-central part of the Mexican state of Chiapas (the southernmost state of Mexico, located towards the southeast of the country). Located in the Grijalva River valley of the Chiapas highlands, Chiapa de Corzo lies some 15 km to the east of the state capital, Tuxtla Gutiérrez. The city had a 2005 census population of 37,627 and serves as municipal seat of the municipality of the same name, which has an area of 906.7 km² and reported a population of 73,552 inhabitants.

The Chiapas highlands region has been inhabited since at least the Archaic period of Mesoamerican history. The nearby pre-Columbian Mesoamerican archaeological site, also known as Chiapa de Corzo, shows evidence of continual occupation since the Early Formative period ( ca. 1400 BCE). The mounds and plazas at the Chiapa de Corzo archaeological site date to approximately 700 BCE with the temple and palace constructed during the Late Formative, perhaps 400 BCE to 200 CE.

Thank you for the swap, Diego!



I couldn't find any info about the plane stamp, but from what I can tell, it commemorates 100 years of aviation in Mexico.

No comments: