Wednesday 6 April 2011

St. Nicholas' Church, Tallinn, Estonia

One more card for today, from the not so far away Estonia. My parents visited Tallinn last week and sent me a postcard from there. I was debating whether to post that card or this one from my friend Rita, but eventually decided on this one. Maybe I'll post the card from mum and dad at some point later...



St. Nicholas' Church (Niguliste kirik in Estonian) is a medieval church in Tallinn, Estonia. It is dedicated to Saint Nicholas, the patron of the fishermen and sailors. Originally built in the 13th century, it was partially destroyed in Soviet Bombing of Tallinn in World War II. After restoration it is in use as an art museum and concert hall. I suppose I should ask Rita more about it - she's a guide and recently passed an important exam so she's now allowed to work as a guide in this church. :)



The stamp was issued last year with the theme 'Treasures from the Estonian Art Museum'

No comments: