Wednesday 6 April 2011

Mostar, Bosnia and Herzegovina

I have lots of postcards of Mostar now thanks to dear Snježana who visited the city not too long ago. I think I like this card the most as it shows a bit of the city other than just the Bridge. Now the Bridge is very impressive, I can't deny that, but it's nice to see some other parts of the place as well.



I've already written about Mostar here so I don't want to repeat myself too much here..

Mostar is the biggest and the most important city in the Herzegovina region and the center of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton of the Federation. Mostar is situated on the Neretva river and is the fifth-largest city in the country. Mostar was named after "the bridge keepers" (natively: mostari) who guarded the Stari Most (Old Bridge) over Neretva river. The Old Bridge, which was destroyed in 1993 amid the war in Bosnia, was rebuilt in 2004 and it is one of the city's most recognizable landmarks. Also, unless I'm very much mistaken, the mosque in the bottom picture is the Koski Mehmed pasa Mosque.



The stamps on the left were issued in 2006 in a set of 6 definitives representing vegetables, this one here being potato. The stamp on the right I'm not sure of, except that it was issued in 2007.

No comments: