Tuesday 26 April 2011

Bamberg, Germany

I still have almost a week off from my volunteering job. It's so weird to have such a long holiday (almost two weeks!) but I sure am enjoying it. Good times, lazy days at home. I'm catching up on letter-writing and some other stuff. Sadly, the warm and sunny days seem to be over but at least this is a perfect excuse to stay at home... :P And I might actually catch up with this blog a little bit, too!


DE-889375


This is an official I received from Germany not so long ago. Such a lovely view of the Old Quarter of Bamberg! This card comes from the Harenberg postcard calendar series. I have a few of these postcards and I have to say, they are all pretty exceptional, with pretty, pretty images. I wish they would sell these calendars over here as well!

Bamberg looks like such a lovely place. The sender told me that her best friend from school got married there. Well, I could think of worse places to get married in! Bamberg is a city in Bavaria, Germany. It is located in Upper Franconia on the river Regnitz, close to its confluence with the river Main. Bamberg is one of the few cities in Germany that was not destroyed by World War II bombings because of a nearby Artillery Factory that prevented planes from getting near to Bamberg. No wonder then that it's also a Unesco site.

From the 10th century onwards, this town became an important link with the Slav peoples, especially those of Poland and Pomerania. During its period of greatest prosperity, from the 12th century onwards, the architecture of Bamberg strongly influenced northern Germany and Hungary. In the late 18th century it was the centre of the Enlightenment in southern Germany, with eminent philosophers and writers such as Hegel and Hoffmann living there.



...and the stamp has a Unesco site on it as well! The old town of Regensburg, to be specific. The stamp was issued earlier this year. Does anyone know why it has Japanese on it?? *curious*

No comments: