Saturday 10 December 2011

Kununurra, Western Australia

No snow here so far, I hope it'll stay that way. ...although it's still pretty chilly and I think I've managed to get ill. I've been sneezing and my nose has been running like silly since yesterday, not cool. I really wouldn't mind being somewhere warm and sunny right now... *sigh* Since that's not possible, today's postcards are all from faraway, warm places. The first card is from Heather, a wonderful person and one of my favourite swappers. It's always a pleasure to find a postcard from her in my mailbox.



Kununurra is a town in far northern Western Australia located at the eastern extremity of the Kimberley Region approximately 37 kilometres from the border with the Northern Territory. Kununurra was initiated to service the Ord River Irrigation scheme.

Kununurra is the largest town in Western Australia north of Broome, with the closest town being Wyndham, 100 kilometres away. Kununurra is 3,040 kilometres from Perth via the Great Northern Highway (distances in Australia never cease to amaze me!!).

The town is situated in among the scenic hills and ranges of the far north-east Kimberley Region, having an abundance of fresh water, conserved by the Ord River Diversion dam and the main Ord River Dam.

On this postcard you can see Elephant Rock, situated on the Ord River. Elephant Rock is also known as Sleeping Buddha, and it's one of the several spectacular backdrops to the town of Kununurra.



I love food-themed stamps and these are AMAZING!

No comments: