Saturday 9 May 2015

Greetings from Ukraine

This was by far the most difficult of the Greetings from postcards for me to get hold of (written and stamped from the country of origin). I couldn't find anyone to swap with so I asked one person if they could send the card back to me written and stamped if I sent it to them blank in an envelope. They agreed, but I haven't received the card back and I don't even know if they've received the envelope. I then asked another person the same, but also sent them mint Ukrainian stamps that I had, to cover the postage. This time I had more luck and the card arrived pretty quickly. On a plus side, at least I now have the card with some lovely Europa stamps. :)


The sender pointed out that the capital city of Ukraine is actually called Kyiv, not Kiev. I had to look this up online as I was sure I had mostly seen the name written 'Kiev' in the news here (even the BBC uses that spelling) and it all seems to be down to politics. I don't want to get into that here, but I found this article pretty interesting.

No comments: