Saturday 22 October 2011

Seinäjoki, Finland

Every autumn in Finland the Finnish Post celebrates 'Postimerkin päivä' ('Day of the Stamp'). It's been a tradition for as long as I can remember - they had it when I was a child and into stamp collecting, and my grandmother would always try to help me get the special cancellation from her town. Yeah, there's a special cancellation for that day, something I wish they'd do here in the UK as well. Dear Marja (marja2006) was kind enough to send me this card with a matching stamp and the cancellation. :)



This card shows the Town Hall in Seinäjoki. It was designed by Alvar Aalto, a famous Finnish architect. To be honest, though, I'm not too impressed with this building, it simply looks really boring to me. I'm more familiar with Seinäjoki because of Provinssirock, one of the largest and oldest rock festivals in Finland and which I attended a few times when I was younger, about ten or so years ago (is it really that long since I've been there?!).



Marja used a special matching stamp - it looks like the stamp has the Town Hall on it, too, as well as Lakeuden Risti church (also designed by Alvar Aalto). Different towns in Finland have started to have their own stamps in Finland in recent years it seems, which I really like.

No comments: