Wednesday 4 August 2010

Zakynthos, Greece

Holidays abroad... I haven't really had a cliched, lazy holiday in southern Europe since I was a kid when my grandma took me on holiday there. I've been to Greece once, on Rhodes, and have some very happy memories from there, although I can't remember *that* much as I think I was about seven years old at the time... Julia from Austria has been more lucky - she offered to send a postcard from her holiday on Zakynthos.



Zakynthos is the third largest of the Ionian Islands. It covers an area of 410 km2 and its coastline is roughly 123 km in length. The island is named after Zakynthos, the son of a legendary Arcadian chief Dardanus. The name, like all similar names ending in -nthos, is pre-Mycenaean or Pelasgian in origin. Zakynthos has a thriving tourism industry.

On this card you can see Marathonissi, which, unless I'm very much mistaken, is an islet in the Zakynthos Marine Park, chich encompasses the marine area of the Bay of Laganas, on the southern shores of the island of Zakynthos, and hosts one of the most important sea turtle nesting beaches in the Mediterranean.



I couldn't find any info about the stamp.

No comments: