Sunday 12 January 2014

St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

I posted a card from the British Virgin Islands yesterday.. well, I have one from the US Virgin Islands as well so I thought I'd post that one here as well :D I have to admit, though, that for such a long time I thought that this was just a regular postcard from the USA... How embarrassing!

I received this postcards some years ago from Kristy from the US, she sent me this card from her holidays to the Caribbean. We were supposed to become penpals but I think we only ever wrote each other two letters if that... Which is a shame because she seemed like a really nice person. I'm a rubbish penpal these days, though, and tend to take ages to write back to people. I feel really guilty about it but it just keeps happening :/


The Virgin Islands of the United States (commonly called the United States Virgin Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Virgin Islands or USVI) are a group of islands in the Caribbean that are an insular area of the United States. The islands are geographically part of the Virgin Islands archipelago and are located in the Leeward Islands of the Lesser Antilles.

 The U.S. Virgin Islands consist of the main islands of Saint Croix, Saint John, and Saint Thomas, along with the much smaller but historically distinct Water Island, and many other surrounding minor islands. The total land area of the territory is (346.4 km2. The territory's capital is Charlotte Amalie on the island of Saint Thomas.

As of the 2010 U.S. Census, the population was 106,405, mostly composed by those of Afro-Caribbean descent. Tourism is the primary economic activity, although there is a significant rum manufacturing sector.


I love it how the stamp actually matches the card! The larger one shows St. John on the U.S. Virgin Islands.

No comments: